When it comes to maintaining your oral health for life, we recommend a three-way partnership between you, your dental hygienist, and your dentist in Bloomington, IN.
The American Dental Association recommends two dental check-ups per year and twice-yearly teeth cleanings to lower your risks for cavities, dental infections, and gum disease. If you have a specific dental condition—gingivitis, for example—your dentist in Bloomington may recommend special teeth cleanings or additional dental visits to help restore your oral health.
Professional Teeth Cleanings in Bloomington
Professional teeth cleanings are one of the best ways to lower your risks for periodontal disease, cavities, and root canal infections.
Your hygienist relies on dental technology and skill to gently but thoroughly remove the stubborn bacteria, tartar, and debris that your toothbrush leaves behind. And no matter how excellent your at-home routine may be, your toothbrush, toothpaste, and dental floss cannot remove it all!
Your hygienist can also share brushing and flossing tips to help you make the most of your oral care regimen at home, including what type of toothbrush to use, brushing techniques, and more.
Your dental appointment for hygiene typically includes any of the following:
- Plaque and tartar removal
- Fluoride application
- Dental sealant application
- Tooth and restoration polish
- Denture cleaning and adjustment
At-Home Oral Care
Your dentist in Bloomington recommends brushing and flossing at least twice per day. However, we may suggest a more customized routine if you have a dental health concern. It is also okay to add a toothbrushing and flossing session if you have indulged in sweets or acidic foods and beverages.
To brush your teeth efficiently, you should:
- Position your toothbrush at a forty-five-degree angle to the gum line.
- Use just enough pressure to feel bristles against your gums and between teeth.
- Brush along the gum line.
- Brush all chewing surfaces.
- Brush your tongue.
- Brush for at least two minutes.
To floss your teeth efficiently, you should:
- Start with about eighteen inches of floss.
- Hold the floss tightly with about one inch of floss between your hands.
- Glide floss between teeth with a gentle squeegee motion.
- Hold the floss against each tooth, gently scraping the tooth’s side while moving the floss away from the gums.
Bloomington Dental Hygiene Appointments for the Entire Family
Don’t underestimate the importance of dental hygiene; it is the foundation on which good oral health is built.
Make your next dental hygiene appointment with the highly qualified family dentists of Ellettsville Dental Center today.
We serve patients throughout Ellettsville, Bloomington, Spencer, Martinsville, and all surrounding Indianapolis communities.